Tuesday, April 17, 2007

History lesson in your own backyard

You can live in a place for years and never know the hidden history of your surroundings and never be the wiser of it. I saw this article at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution website and was quite surprised: http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/stories/2007/04/15/0416LVchurches.html (Free registration required)

When I first moved down to Atlanta from the hills a little over 10 years ago, my first apartment was in the neighborhood mentioned in the article. I had no idea of this wrinkle of history about the church, let alone the neighborhood and I'm someone who prides himself on knowing history. Especially of the places I have lived.

Never assume that you know all of the history about a given place or time, there is always something new to learn. The same can be said about life. I may have to take a drive through the old neighborhood this weekend just to look around and see how things have changed since I moved from there seven years ago and take a look with a new set of eyes to guide me.

No comments: